Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Fourth Night-Amazing

Wow, what an amazing evening. I think this was my favourite class so far. I'll tell you why later. It's later. First of all we each shared our favourite apps that we had looked up last week. While some of the apps were more appropriate for jr/senior high I found them all to be interesting. Dave O and I each selected a whiteboard app which would certainly be supportive for many students. I had seen Audiobooks before but I enjoyed hearing how others used it. Check out the links to my fellow classmates blogs for their lists after you look over mine. So much sharing. Then we looked at an app called Pictello. A youtube clip later, and with some help from Dave who created a one pager on Tim Hortons, we were sent off to create a project. Dave and I decided to do something useful: Firedrills. We were using iPods to complete this activity and in no time we had each created an instructive "Pictello" outlining the process students should follow in case the fire bell rings. This would be very useful for students who have difficulty in knowing how to respond when a fire alarm rings, for students who need to practice the procedures and to share with the class as a teaching tool. We shared our ideas win class: visual stories, steps to completing a mathematical operation, timelines, and how to procedures were a few ideas that were noted. Barb asked us to identify ten uses for Pictello. Mine included: firedrills, isolation drills, how to wash your hands, how to change for gym, how to line up at bus time, how to sit on a bus and follow the rules, how to tie your sneakers, how to read a book, how to find coordinates on a map, how to make peanut butter toast, how to say I am sorry and other visual stories. Dave and I also had time to view Reeldirector which may be a bit more challenging so I will practise ahead of time. Barb ended the class with the app Cookie Doodle. This app has many features including how to follow directions to create a digital cookie, how to eat it and the actual recipes for some of these cookies which would be great to try with students at school or for families to do together at home. It is amazing how the time flies.

1 comment: