Saturday, 8 October 2011

2nd NIght

Connie and I spent most of the evening work on our task analysis of the reading process. Such quality professional discussions going on all around the room. It reminded me of the good old days with Earl Rutledge at the Teachers Centre. People were sharing their thoughts, challenging their own thinking and encouraging others. I certainly miss this kind of meaningful professional development. Barb was so enthusiastic as she presented the video on the brain. The brain is such an amazing and complex organ. Working through the process identified so many areas where the learning to read process can break down. It is amazing that we learn to do it. Our discussions were useful at a Program Planning team meeting the next morning as we were discussing the difficulty staff were having in support a young student who was struggling with the process. The program support teachers are so much more learned in this area but, due to the previous night's class, I was able to be more fully involved in the discussion. That alone makes the course worthwhile. I have some more work to do on the Inspiration piece for the analysis. It had been quite awhile since I had a purpose for using it. Being an administrator brings its own challenges and this course is a good reminder of classroom teacher/program support teacher concerns. It is also amazing how quickly the evening goes by. This is not my ultimate learning time but it has been great so far. Great instructor, great team members, fascinating subject. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment